FROM ASHES (Finland)

NOTE: Not to be confused with a death/thrash band from Washington, USA, also named From Ashes, nor with a band from Georgia, USA, also named From Ashes, who later changed their name to The October Frequency.


^ Old logo .............. v New logo



BAND NAME: From Ashes
GENRE: Unblack/Gothic/Doom Metal
STATUS: Split-up
LOCATION: Finland (Espoo)

Formed in October, 2001. Adopted the name "From Ashes" in autumn 2002.
Not sure what name they used, if they had a name, before that point.
Split up in September-November 2008.

Last-known contact:
    contact.fromashes [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Lineup:
Wille - Vocals, Guitars
Minttu Hietamäki - Bass
Joonas - Keyboards
Arttu - Cello
Otto Uotila - Drums

Past members:
Essi - Vocals
Dani Puolimatka - Drums

Links:
Unofficial links:
Myspace (fan page)
Discography:



From Ashes / Self-Titled (demo, April, 2003, Independent)
Format: CD-R

1) Eagle
4:32, lyrics:
The forests, they whisper your name
So far away I remember your pain
It has been a while since the last time I saw you
And now I'm dying to see you again

Rise to your wings and fly
Fly on your way like an eagle
Rise to your wings and fly
Fly on your way like an eagle

My heart, now filled with tears
will always remember your presence
All I want now, is to see you
and to find you cured one day

Rise to your wings and fly
Fly on your way like an eagle
Rise to your wings and fly
Fly on your way like an eagle


2) In the Valley of Megiddo
4:14, lyrics:
I see a storm rising from the West
I see a storm rising from the South
I see a storm rising from the East
and I see a storm rising from the North

Army of Satan gathering
for this ultimate fight
to meet their final defeat
In the Valley of Megiddo

Now the dust is setting down
I look around and what do I see?
Army of Satan, once so glorius and great
lies now defeated and slain
In the Valley of Megiddo

"New lands and heavens will be made,
everything will be renewed
All the tears will be wiped from their eyes,
and there won't be sorrow anymore, but an endless joy"



Dream of Eternity (demo, November, 2003, Independent)
Format: CD-R

Guest appearance:
Gilran - Vocals (tracks 1 and 2)

1) For the Moment
5:49, lyrics:
The darkness
is creeping over
these lands again

The warmth of the sun
is pacing far away
Again the sad feelings
come to me

I feel it coming
my day of doom
when it feels like there wouldn't be
anything to live or die for

Oh, Lord once again
I'm lost in the twilight
What should I do?
Oh, please tell me now

Live for the moment
Live day by day
Live for the light
of the day
and for love

Some days are bright
Some of them are gloomy
until we reach
our final destiny

'till that day
we'll pace in dark night
in this world of injustice
we will pace

Can you still hear the children sing?
Can you see the colors?
Just for a while,
can't you see?

For those little things
that remind me of hope
I want to live
until my time has come


2) Arctic Flower
4:46, lyrics:
...under the ice
in the dark and cold night
under the moon
in the dying sunlight...

you're born here
but you die here every year
just to defy
the cold winter

You are an arctic flower
so fragile, yet so strong
In the northern realm
you fight for your life
And as the seasons pass by
you live and die

Soon will your time come
We'll watch your bloom
As the winter frost is gone
You are born again
Bring the joy to us
to the land of despair

The sun rises,
the snow begins to melt
and soon we forget
the time of the twilight

This is the springtime
Flower, this is your time
Rise from beyond the ice
and give us delight

And so the spring came
you rejoiced among the others
For a little while
the sorrow was lifted away
For a little while
life rejoiced again

Inside the human mind
the thoughts were warm
For a little while
was love abloom
I almost thought that the grief
was gone forever

...the first snow...
...your death...
...icy grave...

Sweet memories
of the spring gone
come back to my mind
as I watch you wither
How could I survive without you,
you arctic beauty?

Farewell sweet flower
remember to be strong
or on the next spring
I fear my sorrow won't go
And as the snow melts again
I am waiting for you!


3) Dream of Eternity
4:59, lyrics:
The last shadows
are fading away
On this last day
I feel no pain

I saw the river of life
sparkling like crystal
And the tree of eternity
in its green leaves

No more pain
no suffering
Oh, never anymore
Just an endless joy
in eternal light

Too many years
too many tears
on the way
there is

Too many tears
All too many tears
until I get there

The minutes passing by
I hear people cry
How long
it will take?

One night
I saw a dream
I was walking through a forest
I came to a lake
and in its surface I saw
faces from my past passing by
Dear friends I saw
And I saw my old enemies
All of them had a place in my life
And all of them had their story to tell

A little later I stood beside a throne
watching those people come and go
Some of them were singing
While the others were crying
Some of them went upwards
Some went downwards
Cold waves shivered my spine
As I realized where I was

Some time passed by
And one night again
I dreamed I was walking
through that same forest again
This time the forest was
filled with supernatural light
All was quiet and all was still
And then I came to a lake

In its surface
I saw a new kingdom
I saw my destination
I saw the river of life
sparkling like crystal
I saw the Eternal One

Oh, won't you
Oh, won't you
Oh, won't you take me home

Oh, won't you take me home
Oh, won't you
Oh, won't you take me home



Warrior (demo, April, 2004, Independent)
Format: CD-R, limited 25 copies

1) I Am a Warrior
5:02, lyrics:
The sun rises in the horizon
The morning light reaches my eyes
The smell of the cold autumn air...
I wake, greet the rising day

I am a Warrior
I am allied with my sword
I am a Warrior
I am married with my sword

I polish my shield and sword
Mount my horse and go...
In warfare I ride

I am a Warrior...

My blade no longer shines in the sunlight
as I ride back from the battlegrounds
...watch the sun SET IN RED

My blade no longer shines in the sunlight
as I watch the sun set in red


2) Talvi
2:48, lyrics:
Jäätyi metsä
jäätyi vuori
jäätyi ihmissydän nuori

Kaiken peitti hanki valkoinen...

"Kerran valtakunta laitetaan,
uusi valta asetaan."



Kruistocht door de Storm - het tweede deel (compilation)

2004, SneeuwStorm Produkties, CD-R, link expired
13 March, 2015, Nokternal Hemizphear, Bandcamp, link expired
17 December, 2023, SneeuwStorm Produkties, Bandcamp

A compilation of Christian and secular artists.
Written on the artwork:
"Mastered by Dharok at Port Shorts, Canada
SneeuwStorm Produkties presenteert:"

12) From Ashes - Dream of Eternity 5:04



Promo 2004 (promo/demo, 27 June, 2004, Independent)
Format: CD-R

1) Blackened
6:46, lyrics:
This morning sunlight was faint.
Fog clouds risen from the earth...
This morning the light of soul was faint.
Dark feelings risen from my heart...
This morning I felt that the daylight was waning,
This morning I felt my lust for life was fading.

Lost in thousand thoughts of darkness,
my soul wanders on this blackened dawn.

Give me life, Give me hope, Give me joy,
too heavy is this burden to bear alone.
Here I go!

And so did the morning rise after all,
through all sorrow, through all darkness.
And so did the morning rise after all...

Time after time you lift me up,
and time after time I fall again.

You are the light of my day,
you saved my soul once again.
You are my home in times of grief,
where else could I ever go?


2) A Way
4:34, lyrics:
Hear me now as I speak to you,
for there is something that you should know,
for there is a way to light
and a way to delight.

And the way is there for you,
the passage is open if you dare to see.

As our world crumbles down,
when dust and smoke covers the Sun,
I wish I could stay with you in light.

Still I'm trying to speak
looking deep in your eyes,
even though I am afraid...
if it is all in vain.

A veil of darkness will stay
between you and me.
There is something we cannot see...


3) Temporary
4:40, lyrics:
The cemetery, filled with withered flowers,
the cemetery, filled with leaves.
People once so proud,
people once so lame...
A pile of bones, ruins of a soul...

The fiery chariots riding through the sky,
far above these mortal fields.
Gloom of the night is lifted by the light,
the fire the, the glow from sky above...

Eternal life, eternal death...
so does earthly pride vanish.
Lost in a sphere of thick and cold darkness,
reaching for light, reaching for freedom...

You are my life,
You are my salvation
You are in my dreams,
You are my dream.
Would You hear me now,
would You understand?
Give me words of live
Give me joy.

The nightsky is lit by a heavenly light,
upon this sacred soil.
To sorrow of death a grace will be brought
upon this soil of death.

Eyes blazing open wide,
heading for the night...
You are the fire in my heart,
thus I am ready to go!

In the midst of night I cried and cried,
sorrow and pain running down my cheek.
You gave me hope, You gave me new life.
You are my all, forever I shall exalt
Thy name.......!


4) Voiton päivä
5:25, lyrics:
Ja niin koitti päivä, jota me odotimme...
odotimme niin kauan kyynelin ja kirouksin.
Sinä päivänä kansa nousi kansaa vastaan,
hävitys ja suru levitettiin ylle tämän maan.

Nyt kun me katselemme tuhoa ja turmelusta,
joka tullut osaksemme on, osaksi tämän maailman.
Suru mielen täyttää, kyynelvirta vuolas,
itkut kaduilla kaikuu ja huudot lasten tapetuin.

Tänä päivänä vihan malja täytyy,
tänä päivänä vihan malja ylitse vuotaa.
Ja niin aikamme loppuun käy,
enää ei valheet auta.

Tullut täyteen on päiviemme määrä
turhaan kaikuu itkut yössä
Yössä...

Jo kaikuu laulu enkelten,
hukkuu huuto kärsivien.
Kutsu kävi,
vastasitko sinä siihen?
Jo kaikuu laulu enkelten,
hukkuu huuto kadotetuin.
Kaikuu riemu ikuinen
kaukana yllä helvetin.

Koittaa aamu uusi,
ikuinen valkeus.
Taakse jäänyt on maailman valitus.

Koittaa aamu uusi, ikuinen valkeus,
kun kansa viimein
perille päässyt on.

(artwork
not
available)

Collected Ashes (compilation, 30 September, 2004, Independent)
Format unknown

Mentioned [here]. Contains the "From Ashes", "Dream of Eternity", and "Warrior" demos.
Further info currently unknown.



As the Leaves Fall (album, 27 February, 2007, Independent)
Format: CD-R

1) Blackened
5:58, lyrics:
This morning the sunlight was faint
dense fog risen from the earth
This morning the light of my soul was faint
dark feelings risen from my heart
this morning I felt that the daylight was waning
this morning I felt that my lust for life was fading
Lost in thousand thoughts of darkness
my soul wanders through this blackened dawn
Give me life
give me hope
give me joy
Too heavy is this burden
to bear alone
HERE I GO!
And so did the morning rise after all
through all sorrow
through all the darkness
And so did the morning rise after all...
"Time after time You lift me up and time after time I fall again"
You are the light of my day
You saved my soul once again
You are my home in times of grief
Where else could I ever go?


2) Withering Leaves
6:00, lyrics:
Withering leaves, withering trees
tell me that autumn is here
Withering joy, withering life
tell me that death is here
Colors changing from gray to black to gray again
emotions changing along them
Little candles lit there and there
extinguished by the neverending rain
Remembrance...
Candles burnt out
I travel to live those moments again
I travel, just to find the smoking ruins
In the midst of falling rain
when no bird sang
in my depression I kneeled down and prayed
For human shall never be immortal
I set my eyes to the sky above
Hoping to see even a reflection of the light divine
Eternal sorrow and despair on my mind
forgotten sunrises of yesterdays...
Eternally caught in my cursed mind
soul wounded looking for life...
It has been months since the last time I cried
Dressing my sorrow in black, hiding my tears...
Amid of all sorrow and rain
just one phrase came unto my lips
After gray had changed to black again
the same phrase still haunted me
"Hallowed be Thy name"
What else can I say?
For that is the only thing
that keeps a depressed heart alive
Oh, lift the stone heart from my chest
Save me, spare me, please!


3) Starlit Thoughts
5:41, lyrics:
Tonight I sit alone
and gaze into the dark sky
thinking of all the wasted years
Tonight I sit alone, and think
this so called life is not leading me anywhere
Tonight our paths separate
I'd like to say goodbye
but it is too late to cry
You go that way, me this way
In your darkness I cannot stay
Tonight our paths separate
I'd like to say goodbye
but it is too late to cry
My friend, you go that way, me this way
for I want to live for the light
I pray, there is just emptiness
at the end of your way
just like you said
You did not believe in eternal pain
neither did I but tonight I can only pray
Now, my friend, we have come to a point
I've made my decision, and I hope you will too
Prodigal son, beloved son
hear your father cry
Look into the face of the old man
look at his eyes...
He's still sitting beside the window
waiting for your return
Run, run, for soon it is eve
and the gates are closing
Run, run, run, run
the gates are closing
Run, run, run, run
the sun is setting
Run, run, run, run
the gates are closing
Run, run, run, run
your light is waning
Run, run, oh prodigal son
Will you not come home?


4) Temporary
4:23, lyrics:
The cemetery filled with withered flowers
the cemetery filled with leaves
people once so proud
people once so blame...
a pile of bones, the ruins of a soul
The fiery chariots riding through the sky
far above these mortal fields
gloom of the night
is lifted by the light
the fire, the glow from the sky above
Eternal life, eternal death
so does earthly pride vanish
lost in sphere of thick and cold darkness
reaching for light
reaching for freedom
You are my life
You are my salvation
You are in my dreams
You are my dream
Would You hear me now
would You understand?
Give me words of live
give me joy
the night sky is lit by a heavenly light
upon this sacred soil
To sorrow of death a grace will be brought
upon this soil of death
Eyes blazing open wide
heading for the night
You are the fire in my heart
thus I am ready to go!
In the midst of night I cried and cried
sorrow and pain running down my cheek
You gave me hope
You gave me new light
You are my all
Forever I shall exalt Thy name...!


5) Dream of Eternity
5:04, lyrics:
The last shadows are fading away
On this last day I feel no pain
I saw the river of life
sparkling like crystal
and the tree of eternity
and its green leaves
No more pain
no suffering
oh, never anymore
just an endless joy
in eternal light
Too many years
too many tears
on the way there is
Too many tears
all too many tears
until I get there
The minutes passing by
I hear people cry
How long it will take?
"One night I had a dream I was walking through a forest. I came to a lake and in its surface I saw faces from my past passing by. Dear friends I saw and I saw my old enemies. All of them had a place in my life and all of them had their story to tell."
A little later I stood beside a throne
watching those people come and go
Some of them were singing
while the others were crying
Some of them went upwards
some went downwards
Cold waves shivered my spine
as I realized where I was
"Some time passed by and one night again I dreamed I was walking through that same forest again. This time the forest was filled with supernatural light. All was quiet and all was still and then I came to a lake."
In its surface
I saw a new kingdom
I saw my destination
I saw the river of life
sparkling like crystal
I saw the Eternal One
Oh, won't You take me home


6) Voiton päivä
5:11, lyrics:
Ja niin koitti päivä, jota me odotimme
odotimme niin kauan kyynelin ja kirouksin
Sinä päivänä kansa nousi kansaa vastaan
hävitys ja suru levitettiin ylle tämän maan
Nyt kun me katselemme tuhoa ja turmelusta
joka tullut osaksemme on, osaksi tämän maailman
Suru mielen täyttää, kyynelvirta vuolas
itkut kaduilla kaikuu ja huudot lasten tapetuin
Tänä päivänä vihan malja täytyy
tänä päivänä vihan malja ylitse vuotaa
Ja niin aikamme loppuun käy
enää ei valheet auta
Tullut täyteen on päiviemme määrä
turhaan kaikuu itkut yössä
Jo kaikuu laulu enkelten
hukkuu huuto kärsivien
Kutsu kävi / vastasitko sinä siihen?
Jo kaikuu laulu enkelten
hukkuu huuto kadotetuin
Kaikuu riemu ikuinen
kaukana yllä helvetin
Koittaa aamu uusi
ikuinen valkeus
taakse jäänyt on maailman valitus
Koittaa aamu uusi
ikuinen valkeus
kun kansa viimein perille päässyt on


7) Gehenna
00:49, instrumental

8) Exiled
5:20, lyrics:
Lying dying, calm and still...
light fading from those eyes...
Last words of a dying man...
they're telling you to run!
Everything that was before is now gone
he's telling you to hide
Run, run, run
away from this land of death
Run, run, run
away from this land of ever-frost
Sun brightens the darkness of the night
at every dawn the dusk retreats
but who will brighten the darkness of these souls
heal these blackened hearts torn apart?
The eyes of a dying man you still see in your dreams
still in your mind is your quest for remembrance
Years have passed in exile
aged and hardened you return to your home
These fields, these hills, these forests
of your homeland
These places full of memories, the places of your dreams
These burned homes and empty gazes in their eyes...
When will you see your children smiling?
Will the scars ever disappear?


9) Song of Autumn
5:43, lyrics:
How should I know about the truth
how should I know about good and evil?
I just witness what I see
and I confess the evil within
Little I know about demons
and even less about angels
but I see what bears fruit in me
and which thoughts I want to feed
My faith is like a dying tree
looks still strong but rots within
I need a new direction, a new life to live
and roots that grow deep
There is still so much to see
so much life for me to live
but is this despair my cross to bear?
In these silent moments of suffering...
Leaves make these cliffs slippery
Beneath, I see the sea furious...
These trees grew on a solid stone
oh, they grew without roots
At the edge
one step from the edge...
Who would watch my step
who would take my hand?
Dark clouds of a rising storm appear
wind blows, trying to make me fall
These rotten trees no longer offer me protection
I try to flee
My life is like these dying trees
I look still strong but so fragile I'm within
No longer can I stand on my own
no longer can I pretend to live
Far away in the distance
rays of sun hit the waves
Until the storm is over
I need You to hold me
lost again in these thoughts...
Show me the path to go
and I'll go wherever the path takes me
wherever it leads me
Oh lead me through the dark!
Guide me, lead me through the dark!


10) Shadowy Garden
5:31, lyrics:
Once again I walked these streets
they led me to a forlorn place
I decided to open the gates
and step into this shadowy place
Not a long time ago
I used to sit here from hour to hour
from day to day
from month to month
All the beauty I saw around
was in these dying plants and dried soil
Still those trees and flowers grew for me
but they withered before they bloomed
Now I'm sitting in these shadows again
remembering things I've seen and felt
Remembering things I hoped I had forgotten
Too much darkness
too much pain for one garden to take!
Back on my feet I leave this place
It's too much for my heart to face
I close the gate and walk away
but when will I have to come back again?
Shadowy garden, I thought I left you for good
but here I am again, standing at your gates
Shadowy garden, I tried to forget you
but time after time I stumble across you!
Shadowy garden, forever you'll be there
but know that now I have also other gardens to stay
Perhaps one day
when I have the strength
I'll take one withered flower
away from your poisoned ground
I'll move it to some other garden
and plant it into good soil
and one day
I'll watch the dead come alive
Shadowy garden, it has come time for me to move on.

(artwork
not
available)

title unknown (EP, NOT SURE IF RELEASED)
Format unknown

Mentioned [here], 16 September, 2008, and [here], 23 November, 2008. They were planning to release it in March, 2009, but I'm not sure if the EP was ever actually released or not.

Planned to have three songs. Further info unknown.



______________________________________
IncompletePage, CouldUseBetterImages, SimilarTo
INFO:
1) Missing format info for the demos. 2) When was the "Kruistocht" comp released? 3) More info on the 2009 EP and the "Collected Ashes" compilation? 4) This page mentions designing a new cover for "Promo 2004". Is the one on this site the new one, or the old one? Does anyone have the other one? 5) What name, if any, did they use before "From Ashes"?
IMAGES:
The artwork for all four demos.



Miscellaneous stuff:
Left: Old site header
Right: Image from the fan Myspace; says "DARK METAL FOR DARK SOULS"

Promo pictures from their website

Left: Not sure, it's from the fan Myspace. Perhaps an old site header?
Middle: An image next to the "discography" section of their old site.
Right: The background of the newer version of their website
 
 
Similar to: [SECULAR] In Somnis, How like a Winter, early As Divine Grace, later Elbereth, Nócturnal Aar, Thy Withering Orchard, Uraeus, Nattvindens Gråt, Thuban, Windwritings, [CHRISTIAN] Wipe Away, Amnom, Siyum Evel, Anemia (US), Endless Funeral, Ex-hortation, Nehyam, Phanerosis, Animae Capronii, Exaudi,

No comments: