LENGSEL




BAND NAME: Lengsel
GENRE: Raw Unblack (first demo), Unblack with Progressive Influences ("Solace"), Post-Black Metal / Depressive Rock ("The Kiss, The Hope")
STATUS: Split-up
LOCATION: Norway (Birkeland/Oslo)

Years active:
1997-2000
2006-2007
2011

"Lengsel" means "longing/yearning" in Norwegian.

Written in their logo:
I II III IV V VI VII
12 5 14 7 19 5 12


Lineup:
Tor Magne Glidje - Vocals, Guitars
Ole Halvard Sveen - Guitars (acoustic), Keyboards, Drums
John Robert Mjåland - Bass

Links:
Bandcamp (bottom of the page)

Unofficial links:
Unblack Metal Wallpapers

Discography:



Lengsel / Self-Titled (demo, 1997, Independent)
Format: Cassette

NOTE: Not to be confused with the 2011 compilation of the same name!

There are two tracklists given online, and (thanks to blog contributor "Doug"!) I now have photos showing these different tracklists on the tape inlay... Can anyone help explain this?

LEFT TRACKLIST
(single-sided cassette)
1) I det stille er det èr sterk 4:31
2) Vakker 3:07
3) Skjulte skatter 3:54
4) Inntil neste gang
4:13
5) (not mentioned on the tracklist), track length unknown

RIGHT TRACKLIST
(sides A and B unknown)
1) I det stille er det èr sterk 4:31
2) Vakker 3:07
3) Skjulte skatter 3:54
4) Pleasant Steps, track length unknown
5) Inntil neste gang 4:13


ENDTIME DIGIPAK ................ SOLID STATE

VINYL VERSION

Solace (album)

28 March, 2000, Endtime Productions, CD, Digipak, limited 1000 copies
2000, Solid State Records, CD
October, 2000, Black Sun Records, CD
2011, Endtime Productions, 12'' vinyl, limited 300 copies
28 February, 2017, Endtime Productions, Bandcamp

Note, for the vinyl version, tracks 1-4 are on Side A, and tracks 5-8 are on Side B.

The lyrics to track 1 are also written on the cover art.

1) Solace
1:04, lyrics:
Come comfort me ... soon now
covering, calm distortion


2) Revival
6:15, lyrics:
Again I stare
without really being able to
-illusions

The verity terrifies
the dreams, the lies I deify
In despair I fail to understand
whether the dreams create the scruples
or the other way around

As the eyes begin to sting
I am swallowed by an abstract state
The spirit of indifference is here

Apathetic, searching
The sorrow feels preposterous
within this psychotic chaos
The will smothers
the spew from the past

Weakened I dry out the faith
and then kiss its forehead
uncertain
slavering

This inner depression is a sort of religious
(apocalyptic)
No clammy hands can alter me
My God
Alleviate the many distressed
I firmly proclaim,
Hand out the water to those who thirst


3) Opaque
4:16, lyrics:
I know it is dark outside
but I bear not face it
alone
I compose a picture within a golden frame
- black picturesque

My eyes dance in a glassy stare
to the distant sound of musical
silence
But somehow they lower in a pool
- all wet and obscure

And I see this face
as a vivid picture of my very own self
And the eyes
they are watching me
and so am I

Inside out, whatever
I cannot grasp this
this duplicity
this lack of self-devotion
this classical cliché of a song


4) Hours
7:05, lyrics:
I will never sleep again
I will go to my world
Where I can always change
everything
How could things end up like this?
All this hatred
I am a part of it
All this hatred
I was a part of it
until this very night
Never again
If man is sane, I am not
In these hours is a blessing, embracing insanity
- I am not one of them
And I can hear the screaming
They are screaming at me desperately
I did not understand what they were saying
That is why they scream
- No one really listens
I still do not understand
As the weeping continues
this dark feeling of hopelessness grows stronger
I know of their hatred
I will never sleep again
I will crush reality in our world
In my world they will receive
But their sanity is not mine


5) Coat of Arms
5:58, lyrics:
Horrific death, you are closing in on me
circling slightly towards the center of the earth
The rails lead the way, night and day
black tracks ahead
I keep my eyes on you
keep you in sight from a distance
and join in the carousel movements
afraid, awed
beholding the ghost-like smoke
I grow tired as the weary wheels go round
feel sick as the smelly smog surrounds me
I droop like snowdrops and wither
wait for your horrid hands to extend
and touch my white-stained arms of love


6) Stille dualisme
5:47, lyrics:
Stillhet uten sjel, uten ånd
Uten nærvær av noe slag
Er som etsende dråper fra himmelen
De skreller nådeløst av vår hud, vårt kjøtt
Og lar vårt indre ligge nakent som et åpent sår
Infisert av vår verden av forfall
Vi frykter dette regnet
Disse dråper som smaker av død
(Så har de da heller ikke makt til å lege det de avdekker)
Vi flykter inn i
Nærmeste ly av larm
(Og det blir vår bane)
Vi kjenner avmakt, men
Hvor søke råd?
Fornekter sannheten
-I oss selv er vi små
Frykten tar med tiden våre liv
De levende dråper når ei inn i vårt ly
Vi mister den skatt vi fikk i eie
Den fullkomne stillhet med nærvær fra det høye
Støyens sønn av morgenrøden
Vil til sist og smake døden


7) The World Monotone
6:20, lyrics:
Remove the tears
and the thrill they give
and melancholy (melancholy)
will become a burden
rather than a strength
devastates me
divides me

Among gods
I crawl
in a condition
forced upon me
freedom a straining thought
Uncomplete

Fling salt in my eyes
so that the inner well may drain away
and my visit stand visible
before me
Restless

I realize what I have summoned
hear the death-conscious moan
The world Monotone is now the nervous one
The world Monotone is now the nervous one


8) Avmakt
6:34, lyrics:
Vind vær min Herre
Du er
Vind vær min Herre
Du er
Du river meg løs
Fra verdens
Min tomhet
Jeg kan intet gjøre
Jeg føres
Storm
Du minste vindpust
Lær meg
Jeg lever

Hvordan kan jeg
Knuser alltid egne drømmer
Fører skam over egen higen
Det levde liv spotter
Det største under
Så flommer hatet



 In the Shadow of Death (compilation)

9 - 16 June, 2000, Endtime Productions, CD
13 December, 2014, Endtime Productions, Bandcamp

3) Lengsel - Revival 6:15, see above for lyrics



Black Sun Records Catalog 2000 (compilation, 2000, Black Sun Records)
Format: CD

1) Lengsel - Revival 6:06, see above for lyrics


Voodoo Rock Machine Vol. 2 (compilation, December, 2000, RIFF)
Format: CD

17) Lengsel - Revival 6:17, see above for lyrics

Extreme Christian Music (compilation, label unknown, NOT SURE IF OFFICIAL)
Format unknown (presumably CD?)

Supposedly released in 2001. Catalog number is JHP002.
Seems to be a bootleg, presumably from South America, considering the typos.
"Dawl Eternal" should be "Dawn Eternal"
"Nebulom" should be "Nebulon"
"Vardöger" should be "Vardøger"
"Sanctífica" has an accent over the first "i".

15) Lengsel - Revival 6:15, see above for lyrics
 


This Is Solid State Vol.UME 2 (compilation, 2001, Solid State Records)
Format: CD

10) Lengsel - Coat of Arms 5:58, see above for lyrics



Come Armageddon (compilation, 2003, Endtime Productions)
Formats: CD and Vinyl

This one is going to be a mess to explain.

LEFT: normal CD version, Digipak, ENDCD10
There's also a vinyl version with an identical tracklist, but I don't have pictures of that one. ENDLP10
RIGHT: also a CD. Lengsel do not appear on this version! ENDCD10B

On END10CD and END10LP:
5 / B1) Lengsel - Coat of Arms 5:58, see above for lyrics

This image has been resized.
To view the original 3000x3000 res, click [here].


The Kiss - The Hope (album)

1 December, 2006, Whirlwind Records, CD
5 November, 2017, Independent, Bandcamp

Guest appearances:
Ilkka Viitasalo - Vocals (track 2)
Feed - Vocals (track 5)

1) An Anonymous Phone-Call and a Dead Line
8:03, lyrics:
Sudden darkness silences them all in broad daylight
A simple irregularity is all it takes for them to lose focus, balance and control
A friendly pat on the back would seriously tip them over
and knock them flat out of breath
They seem so fragile and lost
Filled with a strange mixture of fear, fascination and anticipation
All due to this unusual approach of the phenomena
This unexpected visit to the earth
They search the ground with their open-mouthed stares
Hoping that somewhere signs of movement will unveil
Their shadows slide forward from behind and dive into their mouths
Down they glide like liquid
Licking their tongues dry
Leaving a dryness in the throat which prevents speech
Only their eyes enable them to communicate
And speak their collective mind
No words but the frightening white in their eyes
On black papery background
Twinkling and turning
Blinking and burning
Bewildered yet excited
Building up the tension just for the thrill of it
Partaking in the madness
Soon ready to burst from within
Waiting and listening
Like in a slow dream
For the voice of someone special
The deliberate and anonymous phone call
Where every sound has a deeper meaning attached
And the background in itself is a whole other world
The electrical silence followed by the the mechanical click
Which indicates a dead line
Heavy winds finally knock them over with a crack
Gradually they stumble back onto their feet as if out of a trance
Back into a life of normalcy
Where they raise their umbrellas high
To avoid the horizontal rain flushing over
Fighting their smallest steps
They continue to hide their heads
Despite this incident
They go on in the same orderly fashion
Down the trail they first came
With the exactly same destination in mind
Not until the sun reappears will they notice
That their shadows and eyelashes are far gone


2) Hell Calls Hell
3:53, lyrics:
Hell calls Hell
Like death calls on the circled cross
Hell calls Hell
Like sharp bells sound
throughout the abyss

Invoke the voice
That creeps like a lion
In the wilderness
The lamb

Hell calls Hell
Like death calls on earth
Hell calls Hell
Like sharp bells sound
throughout the abyss

Invoke the voice
That creeps like a lion
In the wilderness
The lamb

Hell calls Hell
Like the serpent crawls through the crust
Hell calls Hell
Like the burning bells
ring in Abyss

Where O death is your victory?
Where is your sting of death?
Shards of the scorching sun
Swallowed whole in victory


3) Miss S.C.
3:49, lyrics:
These nightlife peacocks, so filled up with tears it runs out their ears
Still smiling stiffly,
Still shouting helplessly,
Trying to make expressions of euphoria convince their inner self
And become real, become expressions of reality
Their loud laughter makes me wanna cry,
As it sounds to me more like
'Oh God, please let me die'
Happy singing with empty eyes, cold kisses and desperate sex
Trying to kill it all away with comfort poison,
An escape by chemicals
To escape this shallow prison of superficiality,
Vanity and dead colors
Longing to be loved without makeup and high heels,
Without funny jokes and approved opinions, sexy walks and confident attitude

I wish they knew that they are
And what they are


4) Åndenød - The Easy Kill
1:55, instrumental

5) Tales of Lost Love
5:29, lyrics:
Tales of lost love
Lost, not because it was bound to,
Not lust mistaken for love,
Not a fake image that faded
Nor helpless attempts to project
Vague, inner pictures of love
And its possible potential

But true tales of lost, true love
That slipped through someones fingers,
Though not by accident,
As the fingers were filled with regret
From the moment they started to spread
Such tales
Make me wanna knock myself unconscious


6) A Little Less to Heal
4:51, lyrics unknown

7) Eternal Seven
2:26, lyrics:
I no longer draw circles the way I used to do,
I simply mark the centre and close my eyes instead.
My soul finds comfort this way,
as five and twelve are brought together
and eternity provided.
My hands are imperfect
and cannot possibly match the works of Giotto,
but even a circle such as his loses its power
if the centre is misplaced, thus soulless.


8) The Warm Water Chaseway
3:23, lyrics unknown (it sounds like there might be background vocals at a couple points?)

9) Angels in America
3:01, lyrics unknown

10) The Pale People
6:04, lyrics:
The wax sensation
Cultivated alienation
Like swarming bees
Are the pale people

Robed in plastic fiber wings
Lowered sails, roaring wind
Ambition melting down
Sticky, wet alien-eyes

The loss of a generation
Deprived and detached
From divinity
An era of insolence

The crowded head
And broken heart
The fallen flesh
And wants at hand

Oh but the number!
Thousands upon thousands
Corpus torn asunder


11) Avec toi
3:31, lyrics:
Eternity
I cannot escape
The mermaids in the water
The dove in my mind
Already tearing
My soul asunder

I long for resolution

There’s a blinding light
Coming from my head
Go see for yourself
The burning angels wrought undead

The man with mended horns
Invites me home

I am dead to this world
And all that it holds
The threshold of hope
Lies on the path of the light

The sun is setting
And the moon is not waiting

The world will go on
When I..m all lost and far gone
Always the same old song
Keeping right from wrong

The true light will dawn
On friend and foe alike

You'll always be the answer
And I know it has be this way
..cause if You dissolve
I will lose shape

A well of hope
Cast in the mirrored light



CMF Collection Volume 1 (compilation, year unknown, CMF Records)
Format: CD

Written on the cover art:
"Christian Metal Force Salvador
CMF Collection
volume 1"

Released sometime in the 2000s.

Mistakenly listed on some sites as "Underground Bahia". It's actually a from an underground ministry called Christian Metal Force, which is based in the region of Bahia.

16) Lengsel - Hours 7:05, see above for lyrics
 
This image has been resized.
To view the original 2100x2100 res, click [here].


Lengsel / Self-Titled (compilation)

October, 2011, Independent, CD-R, limited 200 copies
9 June, 2018, Independent, Bandcamp

NOTE: Not to be confused with the 1997 demo of the same name!

 Track 1 is a new song.
Tracks 2-3 and 5-6 are Endless Studio mixes.
Tracks 4 and 11-13 are previously-unreleased songs/mixes from "Solace".
Tracks 7-10 are from the 1997 demo.

Only 7-10 had been released before. All other songs on this compilation are either unreleased songs, or unreleased versions/mixes of songs.

1) Premonitions 1:02
2) The World Monotone (Endless Studios Mix) 6:34
3) Hours (Endless Studios Mix) 7:52
4) The Fountain 3:19
5) Stille Dualisme (Endless Studios Mix) 6:43
6) Opaque (Endless Studios Mix) 4:59
7) I det stille er det en sterk (demo) 7:39
8) Vakker (demo) 3:54
9) Skjulte skatter (demo) 4:22
10) Inntil neste gang (demo) 3:44
11) Tåre (promo) 7:20
12) Avmakt (promo) 7:18
13) The Man of Sorrows 3:08









ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS

Avmakt / Paralysis
Wind be my Lord / You are
Wind be my Lord / You are
You take me (tear me) away / From this world's / My emptiness
I can nothing do / I'm moved / Storm
You smallest Breath of Wind / Teach me / I live

How can I / Always ruining my own dreams
Bringing shame upon my own will / When the life lived scorns
The Greatest Wonder / Hate overflows



______________________________________________
IncompletePage, CouldUseBetterImages
INFO:
1) Supposedly, there's another version of the Endtime Productions CD. One is labeled as a limited-edition digipak, while this one isn't. Are they really two separate things, or is this just a mistake on Metal Archives? 2) Missing lyrics to tracks six, eight, and nine, on "The Kiss, The Hope". 3) Missing lyrics to the previously-unreleased songs on the 2011 compilation. 4) Which tracklist for the 1997 demo is correct?? Also missing lyrics AND track lengths for this release.
IMAGES:
1) Bottom band logo.. 2) "The Kiss - The Hope". I've done some rudimentary work on it, but the image here is still fairly low-quality. 3) Better photos of the 1997 demo.



Miscellaneous stuff:

Smaller, but transparent, version of Lengsel's logo:
According to someone on Facebook, this was a t-shirt design:

No comments: