STRONGHOLD (Nor)




BAND NAME: Stronghold
GENRE: Unblack Metal with Death/Doom Influences
STATUS: Unknown
LOCATION: Norway (Hunndalen)

Formed in the mid 90s with Eirik and Erlend, playing cover songs. Started doing their own music shortly afterward, though because of various circumstances, Eirik recorded the first two releases by himself.

Last-known contact:
stronghold [AT] lyse [DOT] net

Lineup:
Eirik Hellem Bř - Vocals, Guitars
Erlend Trengereid - Guitars
Cato Gulaker - Drums

Past members:
Kristian - Bass
Stian Fjelde - Drums
Øyvind (Implacable) - Drums
Also used a drum machine in the early days that they named "Roland"

Links:
Spotify

Discography:

Note: Metal Archives notes that Stronghold also released demos in 1997 and 1999. These demos are not mentioned on Stronghold's website at all, and are likely not actual releases.


Stronghold / Demo (demo)

1998, Independent, CD-R
11 November, 2008, Independent, Digital, link expired

For reference, the 2008 digital version was released on their website as mentioned [here].

1) The Day of the Lord 4:17
2) Lament 6:01
3) Praise 5:56



Prayers from a Yearning Heart (EP)

August, 2000, Nordic Mission, CD
25 March, 2020, Nordic Mission, Bandcamp

Guest appearances:
Kjartan Vestvik - Synthesizers

The top cover art is lower quality, but higher res.
The bottom version is higher quality, but lower res.

Track 5 is called "In Strongest Arms" on the back of the packaging, but "In Strongest Arms Held" in the lyric booklet.

1) Prayer of the Yearning
5:20, lyrics:
Oh mighty Lord, You that hold
Heaven above the water
You, the one that feed the sun's fire
Have You, in Thy greatness,
Forgotten me?

People marvel at the work
Of Thy hands.
And cheer at the wonders
by Your name
Why, then, am I so bereaved?
How come I cry at night?

My heart once flooding
With love poured over me
is now parched as the desert's sand
The words I speak
Once ones of love and comfort
Now poisonous darts
From mouth to hearts
Standing on my knees I cry,
From the top of my lungs I scream
Forsake me not,
You, coordinator of the stars
You, protector of sparrows
Hear my plea as I return to beauty
Open the gates as I return to life


2) Praise
4:51, lyrics:
Praise be to God
The father of Jesus Christ
For He chose us in Him
Before the creation of the world

He made Himself nothing
Took the form of a servant
Made in human likeness

In appearance as a man
He humbled Himself
And became obedient to death

He disarmed all evil authorities
Triumphing over them
By the cross

From the fullness of His grace
We have all received one blessing
After another

Before Him, every knee will bow
And every tongue will confess
To God


3) Tears
5:51, lyrics:
I bow before Your cross
See Your blood on the ground
Running in streams it mingles
With the tears
That drip from my cheek

With sorrow they run from my eyes
For I know, You are in my place
My sins were the hammer
That drove the nails into Your hands
And the pain that tears at Your flesh

In helplessness they
Fall to the ground
For words can never
Express my gratitude
And never can I repay such love

Your love has captured me,
Therefore I am free


4) Lament
6:04, lyrics:
O Lord! Be merciful to me!
O Lord! Heal me!
For my soul is in anguish
How long, o Lord, how long?

My eyes grow weak with sorrow
They fail because of the troubles they've seen
My sorrow has overwhelmed me
Like a burden too heavy to bear

Hear my cry for mercy!
Do not turn a deaf ear to me!
No one remembers you when he is dead
Who praises you from his grave?

I confess my inequity:
I am troubled by my sin
I am about to fall
My pain is ever with me

Out from the depths, I cry to You
O Lord, hear my voice


5) In Strongest Arms / In Strongest Arms Held
13:39, partial lyrics:
Waking up in darkest hour
A pool of sweat
In which the terror bathes
The flash of a horrid moment
(Fading?) in the mind
Deprived of restful hours
By scares from within

The end of all terrors
The cease to all fear
No more present darkness
In strongest arms held

Restless shadows roaming the night
Lurking in dark
Always there to (find?) you
With hunger so enormous
They can never stop
They are the thieves of freedom
Feasting on your fear

Crawling through a endless mire
Of darkness and (?)
Never shines the light
Bones aching with exhaustion
Soul is black with (?)
Stolen is the smile
Carried away on a dark cloud

The end of the distress
(?)
Banned from my soul,
No longer is their place vacant
For light is in their place


Original 3000x3000 res [here].

Cult of Remorse (album)

10 December, 2007, Independent, CD
year unknown, Undark.net / ???, CD + Digital, link expired
30 April, 2020, Nordic Mission, Bandcamp

1) And Venus Smote the Heart of the Heavens 8:09
2) Cult of Remorse 8:25
3) Intermezzo 2:03
4) En orken av roser 5:34
5) Chronos 7:58
6) Hybrid 6:31
7) Purgatory 5:45



___________________________________________
IncompletePage, CouldUseBetterImages, SimilarTo
INFO:
1) The lyrics that are still missing, including those words I can't read for track 5 of "Prayers of a Yearning Heart". 2) More info on the Undark.net version of "Cult of Remorse".
IMAGES:
Could use better versions of: 1) 1998 demo. 2) Prayers from a Yearning Heart



Miscellaneous:
 
 
Similar to: [SECULAR] Hornwood Fell, Moonthoth, Drudkh, Hell's Coronation, Licht erlischt, Under a Full Moon, the Ruins of Beverast, Worm (US/Can), W.A.I.L., w00d5b17ch, Funeral Pile, Winds of Doom, [CHRISTIAN] Beksvart, En kriger, Irgalom, Kraften, Willow Mount, Clamatorius, Cloth, Torches in the Void, Quest for Serenity, Eunagelion, Eternal Emperor, Erasmus,

No comments: